Sunday, January 15, 2012

Making progress with two steps forward and one step back

A wise woman once told me that once I have figured out where to buy all the healthy things in town, buying healthy will become easier. Those words are so very true! There are three "healthy" stores in Lexington: Fresh Market (fresh, expensive, and not that healthy), Whole Foods, and Good Foods (local co-op.) And I live very close to a big Kroger with an excellent organic/health section. I'm skipping Fresh Market for everything EXCEPT fruit/veggies as I find they have an excellent selection. Their meat isn't bad either. But I don't spend too much time at the other two stores (go figure!) 

So, yesterday I went though Whole Foods and today through Good Foods. While I think I'm getting a good idea of what I can find where, I'm thinking that I'll be doing a lot of driving back to different stores until I figure everything out.

This whole changing one's lifestyle really takes some effort initially!! I keep making changes and then changing those changes to keep improving. Jeez!

But I've decided upon making the butternut squash casserole recipe from class to make tomorrow. Very excited! Found the butternut squash today at the store and picked it up... I may have to go back tomorrow to get more but thought I would get some at least.

On a different note, finally got back into the water this afternoon for a long swim before Pilates class! I managed to swim a 1650 yard (which equals 1 mile) and felt pretty good despite the 4 month break! Pilates class felt really good afterwards although my arms will be hurting tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone out there reading my blog!! A special shot out to my brother for being as wonderfully supportive as he is!

3 comments:

  1. I end up going to 2 or 3 different stores for things. What is the casserole you are making? I want to try some new recipes (actually tried a few today) and some veggie main dish ones too. My husband isn't so into the veggie thing, but I just want to try to work more healthy different stuff into what we eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth - The recipe is the one from class so I won't feel comfortable sharing it without Paula's permission. I'll ask this Saturday when I see her and if she's ok with it, I'll put it up! I just bough all the ingredients so I'll let you know how it tastes!!

      Delete
  2. Hey Sis,
    I am honored, keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete