Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pilates versus Weight Training

I discovered Pilates Reformer classes in October and have been going twice a week over the past few months. I really enjoy Pilates Reformer class and I have SEEN the difference: I am more flexible and my core is significantly stronger. BUT... it costs a lot of money each month and I just haven't been able to do all the swimming, biking, running, AND Pilates. So... what do I do?

When I first started losing weight last year, I mainly attributed it to the spinning and weight lifting. I would spin at least twice to three times a week (or go bike riding) and weight lift at least twice. I'm leaning towards going back to this schedule to see if I can lose more weight with this again.

On the other hand, I feel that I have made so much more progress with my flexibility and core that I don't want to lose this! I know I'm going to go back to Pilates Reformer in the fall when the outside temps go down again. Until then, hopefully I can stretch daily and start doing the plank (AGH!) with weight training.

In other news, I have gone to a chiropractor! I return Wednesday to discuss THE PLAN. I'll be interested to hear what he thinks he can offer me and how to go about doing it. I remain skeptical but hopeful. I want pain relief in my hip, shoulder, and feet. It's go to help!!!

And in more "other news": I have booked more trips!! I am heading to Martha's Vineyard in October to watch my college roommate walk down the aisle (or sand) to get married. Then my fellow graduate student friend and travel buddy - who just happens to live in Hawai'i - is getting married on Maui. The hotels are booked, the transportation planned, and one flight (to Hawai'i - only $10 thanks to frequent flier miles) are complete. Now just the ticket to Boston and I'll be all set!

I'm currently waiting on zucchinis to soften up for my Zucchini Curry soup... sounds good, right? I have found two more sources of yummy recipes: VegEZ from Delicious TV (thank Janis) and The Eat-Clean Diet magazine. Both offer some great recipes that follow the same mentality: whole and unprocessed foods. On the list of recipes for today:

Curried Zucchini Soup (VegEZ): yummy! Just finished up!

Easy Chickpea Leek Soup (VegEZ): pretty easy but I'm not yet convinced about this one

Acorn Squash with Quinoa and Cashews (class): this one is so delicious and I still had some goat cheese left over to use up.

Grandmother's Favorite Oatmeal Cookies (Eat-Clean): I'm adding chocolate chips instead of raisins...we'll see but I'm hopeful!

It's a Date! Date Squares (Eat-Clean): I'm so excited about this recipe!! I'll have pics soon!

1 comment:

  1. It's good when your dilemma is between two very healthy things. Weight training and Pilates both have their advantages, but if your goal is to get strong and lose weight, I would go with weight training. You can hit more muscle groups at once, and it will also have more direct translation for tri training. Depending on your resources, you could do traditional weights or a more granola-y approach. Check out the following two articles, one on the Starting Strength program (the post is a bit over the top, but he makes good points, but you can skip the GOMAD part), and the other as an example to a more MovNat version, which gets you outside and doing more creative movements for free. Let me know if you have any questions, and perhaps I can point you to more resources. Keep up the good work!
    http://tinyurl.com/6qmzeas
    http://tinyurl.com/7wpqmhr

    ReplyDelete