Tuesday, December 4, 2012

My next TNT event!

I've taken the plunge again - signed up for another Team in Training event. For those of you who don't know, Team in Training is the fundraising arm of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. They train you for a specific event, arrange for the travel and the race fee, and throw a couple of parties in celebration of your success. In return, you fundraise a minimum amount. They obviously help you with the fundraising part as they want you to be successful.

My mom is a 12-year of non-Hodgkins Lymphoma (stage 4) and I got involved with TNT in 2009 after I finished up with school and licensure. Despite many eyebrow raises and doubts of friends and family, I successfully ran a 1/2 marathon in January 2010 (Rock N Roll Phoenix.) I then got suckered into triathlons and completed my first sprint triathlon in 2010. I've been involved with TNT ever since either through mentoring or just helping out.

So, here I am in a new city and it's time to do a new event. This time I'm getting down and dirty with a mud run in Conyers, GA outside of Atlanta on March 10, 2013.

Since my 1/2 marathon, I've been slacking in the running department. So I'm getting back in the swing of things. I walked a 5K this past weekend over the bridge between South Carolina and Georgia. I've also committed myself to the Couch to 5K program and signed up for a 5K in February to run.

I still love triathlons - so don't get too worried!! The local YMCA only has a 20 yard pool so my swimming skills are getting a bit rusty. And I haven't yet found any good places to ride my bike. BUT I'm back in the gym for weight lifting and spin class. Hey, it's the off season!!

I'm home sick today, so I think I'll spend my time in between blowing my nose to find some local races to focus on.

No comments:

Post a Comment