Tuesday, June 12, 2012

So now what?


I'd been working pretty hard towards the Irongirl Atlanta. It's been a couple weeks now and I've spent them thinking about what to do next.

I did decide to sign up for a local triathlon in just over a week. The Markey Race for Women's Cancer - the money goes to the local Cancer Center associated with the University of Kentucky. It's a sprint race - 400m, 13 mile bike, 3.1 mile run. I've volunteered at this race for the past two years - it's time to go for it myself.

However, I haven't run since the tri almost three weeks ago. I just don't like to run. I really enjoy swimming and have really fallen in love with cycling. I was able to enjoy running while I was training for the half marathon I did a few years ago. But with plantar fascists plaguing me and my hip that always hurts after running, it hasn't been much fun.

So... my focus this summer, I think, is going to be running. Yeah, I know... I just got through telling you how much I'm not loving it right now. It's clearly my weakest sport (and the slowest.) So it really is the one that I think I should focus on. I mean, I don't need to train for another half, but maybe get my mileage up to 4 miles and really focus on brick workouts. For those of you not fluent in tri-speak, a brick is when you pair two of the tri sports back-to-back. Like swim to bike. Or bike to run. It's the latter that people really struggle with (meaning me!)

I'm following a 12-week Olympic triathlon plan starting last week. There's an option of doing three run workouts a week, so I'm going to up the running to three times a week. I'll keep the other two sports to just twice a week. I mean, I love exercising, but it's not my life... well...

Speaking of triathlon taking over people's lives - there are a group of 5 people (and I use that term loosely and you'll understand why in a moment) who completed a 27 hour triathlon. Nope, you did not read that incorrectly. And no, that's not a mistake. TWENTY SEVEN HOURS!! All in the name of bringing attention to the 27 million victims of human trafficking. I watching them finish up Sunday morning. And then they all stuck around for a couple more hours to celebrate. Amazing!!

There was an amazing table set up there from a local boutique selling free trade stuff. I think I bought half the table. And took home a gift certificate for a Road ID (I LOVE their commercials.)

Last plug for the day - take a look at this project! It's a pretty snazzy GPS system for women that's under development. I'm a backer and I won't be charged until they meet their fundraising goal. It looks like a great investment!!

I'll keep you updated on my running escapades!

1 comment: